Lid worden van Vf? Meld je nu aan
Country Director DR Congo
Country Director DR Congo
- Geplaatst op
- Country Director DR Congo
- War Child
- Bukavu (DR Congo)
- 40 uur p/w
WCH has been working in the DRC since 2003 with its country office based in Bukavu, South Kivu. WCH is implementing programs in the domains of child protection, education, psychosocial support and youth empowerment in collaboration with local and international partners in South Kivu and Maniema provinces, in particular in the Kalehe, Fizi, Mwenga and Kabambare territories. War Child s interventions aim at improving the well-being and resilience of vulnerable children and youth, by supporting them to shape their own future, together with partners, care givers and communities, creating a lasting impact. The interventions are carried out through a participatory community-based approach that seeks to strengthen existing systems and structures within the communities to (re)create a stable, safe, and supportive environment for children and youth, besides involvement of relevant government agencies in the implementation.
The WCH DRC Country Office is part of the WCH Africa region, which also includes Country Officesin Burundi, South Sudan and Uganda besides a Regional Hub in Kampala, which provides support to the country offices in the region. Close relations also exist and intensive collaboration takes place with the WCH Home Office in the Netherlands.
As Country Director (CD) you have overall responsibility for the strategic leadership and direction of the War Child Holland (WCH) DR Congo country program. The CD leads the Country Management Team and is overall responsible for strategy and program development and implementation, networking and fundraising, inance, human resources, logistics and security management. The CD reports to the WCH Africa Regional Representative (based in Kampala).
Key roles - in close collaboration with the Country Management Team:
- Lead the participatory development and updating of the country strategy and annual plans, and oversee the implementation, reviewing, and monitoring of the strategy and plan in line with the War Child Global Strategy.
- Build strong strategic partnerships and effective relationships with government agencies, local and international non-governmental organizations, and donors to ensure holistic, integrated, quality, and sustainable programs
- Strengthen existing relationships and build new relationships with strategic partners and donors aiming at institutional fundraising
- Represent WCH in coordination platforms, meetings and events
- Oversee implementation of WCH country strategy, program implementation, collaboration with and capacity building of local partners
- Overall responsible for security management, ensuring continuous context monitoring, risk analysis, regular updating of security plans, security decision making and incident management as needed
- Oversee and ensure that HR, Logistics, Supply and Finance management is carried out in accordance with local laws, WCH policies and procedures and applicable donor guidelines
- Foster and develop effective leadership within the country office, and a work culture that promotes staff well-being and creates space for staff participation in decision making
- Promote and uphold the War Child Integrity Framework and "Do No Harm" principles, aiming at strong awareness and respect by War Child staff and partners of all relevant policies and principles in this regard.
- Relevant university degree
- A seasoned and inspiring leader
- At least 10 years relevant experience in an international, humanitarian and/or development context of which 4 years in a senior management position (e.g., as Representative or Country director, Head of Programs, Operations Manager/Director)
- Proven experience in Africa and the Great Lakes Region in particular (in the humanitarian/ development sector) preferred.
- Proven experience in fundraising, networking, and developing strategic partnerships in challenging fundraising environments
- Experience in developing strategic partnerships, working with international and local partners and preferably in WCH field of expertise and aimed at scaling (joint) programming and impact
- Solid experience in context analysis and security management
- Relevant experience in human resources and finance management
- Strong leadership & solid management skills with results focus
- Strong social, communication and coaching skills
- Excellent command of English and French (oral and written)
- Able to assess social/ political situations and able to act in a diplomatic way in delicate situations (cultural sensitivity)
- Stress-resilient to be able to cope with complex problems, security issues and deadlines;
- Affinity with War Child’s mandate.
- An interesting and challenging job, within an inspiring and motivated team of people and the backup of a professional War Child team at the Home office in the Netherlands and the Regional hub in Uganda.
- A fair salary and comprehensive secondary benefits that includes free housing, good insurances (including health, travel and disability) and opportunities to develop and learn professionally.
- Job Location: Bukavu, DR Congo, with regular travel in DR Congo to project areas in Eastern DRC, Goma, Kinshasa and occasional travel to the Home office in the Netherlands and the Regional hub in Uganda.
- Contract: At least 2 years in this position, starting with a 1-year contract with the intention to prolong. Starting date: ASAP, negotiable for the right candidate
DRC is a non-family duty station.
War Child strives to create an inclusive work environment. International candidates from all backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences who judge that they can fill all or most of the essential requirements for this role are encouraged to apply.
Information and Application
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to apply before 3 December 2021. Applications submitted after this deadline will not be considered. Make sure to upload your English CV (max. 2 pages) and cover letter as well as fill in our online questionnaire via this link. If this is not your dream job, support War Child by sharing this job with your network!
By submitting your application, you certify that all the statements made in your application are true, complete, and correct and are made in good faith. You understand that falsifying, misrepresenting or intentionally withholding information will be grounds for rejection of your application or withdrawal of any offer of appointment or, if an appointment offer has been accepted, this will be ground for employment sanctions, such as, but not limited to, instant dismissal. In addition, you understand that you need to submit a Criminal Record Certificate and that, if you fail to submit it, no employment relationship can be established.
War Child is an international organisation, and we are committed to be a diverse and inclusive employer, placing human and child rights at the centre of our existence and work. We hire our new colleagues based on their talents, competences and shared values; we do not distinguish them based on their age, gender and gender identity, race, color, ethnicity, religion, culture, sexual orientation, disability etc.
The safety of children and youth is a paramount and essential to War Child’s work. War Child has a zero-tolerance policy towards any form of abuse. To prevent placing children and youth at any risk this subject is addressed in our recruitment and selection procedures. Moreover, the accepted candidates will be required to state their commitment/ intent to be aware, consider and adhere to the minimum standards applicable in development and humanitarian settings, such as humanitarian values and principles, Sphere Humanitarian Charter, Standards in the Humanitarian Standards Partnership, Core Humanitarian Standard, International Humanitarian Law, Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Disaster Relief and IASC Six Core Principles Relating to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse.
- Only applications received via our website are processed.
- If we appoint a suitable candidate before the given closing date, we reserve the right to remove the vacancy from our website before that date. In such a case, any responses received after that time are not processed.
- It could be that during our selection process the closing date for the vacancy is extended. If so, and you have not yet heard from us, your application will remain active